Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Last week Part 2

Last friday was my last day at work. Brandon had to lay me off on friday. We closed the supply business that we started less than six months ago about two weeks back. So I basically was just their to clean things up and get inventory taken care of. Even though you expect that its coming, its something that you are never happy about. I have been slowly looking for a job since Nov, but as most of you know alot of things have happened to us in Dec. that basically pushed it all back. It also doesn't help that a lot of people are looking for work right now, and not many companies are hiring. When it comes down to searching for a job, I have learned over time that it is basically the connections you have that help you the most.
Last week I was offer a job working at a carpet store, it was retail sales and I turned it down. The owner was very nice, and had a lot of encouraging things to stay about me and my work history, but I knew it was something I wouldn't be happy doing. That happened on Wed of last week, and in my head I knew friday was coming. I just couldn't justify taking a job that I knew I wouldn't be happy doing and have no other time to look for something else.
This job market is a tuff one. Everyone wants you to fill out all the form on line and be basically put into their computer system. So my question to you is how do you stand out? The last time I was looking for work after I graduated about 5 years ago it was all about making yourself stand out. I knew a girl that put her picture on her resume. It help her get a job at a pharmaceutical company after she graduated. But how do you do that now? Any Ideas out their?
For the past five years I have been working for a small business that my husband helps run in Nashville. You name it I did it. Its kind of like being a "jack of all trades, but a master and none" that phrase really sums up my life in some ways. I was always the person that if their was a gap or a whole I would fill it, when it came to sports for example in basketball I was a small power forward, but if they needed a guard I could fill that role. In talking with people in todays work environment this is a great asset to have. With job cuts they need people that can fill two roles! Well I am that person.
I know that God is in control of this situation, some people have called to ask how I am doing. But I am fine. What can I do, the reason I was lay ed off was due to lack of work, not because I did anything. I am looking forward to the next phase of my life, to actually go to an office and have other people I work with. To be valued, and feel part of something big. God is in control the right doors will open, I just have to be patient and do my part in looking and getting myself out their. So if you know of any positions out their, or a recruiter for a company please let me know. Or if you have an idea how to make yourself standout, I would greatly appreciate it.

On a lighter note, Nala last week either thursday night or friday decided to tell us that she was hungry. How could you not feed this girl when she looks like this!!

3 comments:

josh, julia, ethan, and amaya fisher said...

Just want you to know that we are praying for both of you. Love you and miss you lots!

Unknown said...

Praying for you to find a job! It's tough out there- how about child or senior care? Those are industries that don't seem to be slowing down at all! People make good money here in NYC by dog walking/sitting. You're great with dogs! Vet assistant? Doggy day care?

Grace Clausing said...

Something will come. I'm still keeping my eyes and ears open for you!!