Monday, December 29, 2008

Back to Reality





Its been almost a week since we took Maddie in, and sent her to heaven. On Dec 19th she wasn't feeling so good. Again she was bleeding inside. That morning I took her into the Vets, and I thought that that evening we were going to have to send her to heaven. When we went to pick her up from the Vets office she wanted to leave, although you could tell she wasn't feeling her greatest. But she greeted some people, was hungry to eat dinner and drink some water. Our Dr. Franks said it wasn't time. She still wanted to be around. So we took her home. Maddie wasn't 100% herself. We wanted her to be able to make it through Christmas. Ever since she came home though her breathing was at a faster pace, she did want to eat and at times she would bark. But you could tell she wasn't feeling the greatest. We were so concerned about her, we didn't want her to be in any pain. Dr. Franks said that it would be good for her to come home for Christmas, to be loved on by so many but that if something was to happen we needed to be ready. We took all her records, ex-rays and all her meds. The drive up to Michigan on Sunday wasn't the greatest. You could tell that at time she was uncomfortable. We stopped every two hours so that she could get out and get some fresh air. When we got to my parents house though she had life in her. She wanted to eat, she found every tennis ball she could in the house. By Monday afternoon she didn't really want to eat. We knew this wasn't a good sign. Then monday evening she was laying in the bathroom away from everyone. We were just hoping that she was just having a bad day. Monday night though, she didn't want to walk up the stairs, or lay in our room. She wanted to lay in the bathroom again. We toss and turned we didn't know what to do. We both didn't want her to suffer. Her breathing was still at a faster rate, and I was so scared that it would come to a point that I couldn't help her. So around 2:15 tuesday morning, I woke everyone up in the house and they all said their goodbyes. We took her into an emergency vet hospital and we knew that it was time to send her to heaven. They brought her into the room on a blanket. I layed down next to her on one side and Nala and Brandon on the other. We kissed her and loved on her. Her breathing started to get faster, so I went out to get the Doctor. As I left the room she rolled on her side and took about 3 deep breathes. The Doctor came in and said she was trying to leave on her own, but that we were just going to help her. Maddie fought until she knew that we were ok to let her go. I wouldn't say we were ok we just didn't want her to suffer any more. My Vet Dr. Franks said she didn't suffer. She was the best Dog that I ever had. She is very much missed. Yesterday was a hard day. We had to come back to reality. Driving home with one less in our family. Nala came into the house, we think she was looking for her but obviously she was no wear to be found. Our house is a little bit quit without her. We can't hear her snoring when she naps, or when she sleeps. Her little feet running on our hard woods, or any of the squeaky toys squeaking. Nala isn't into the tennis balls like Maddie, she rather have a bone. But we know that she isn't suffering, and that she got to have her first Christmas in Heaven. Running around and showing everyone how pretty she is when she runs. She was only 5, and that is what makes it hard. We think about her often, and she will always have a special place in our hearts because she was our first.

4 comments:

AppleAdventure said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Grace Clausing said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Dogs hold a special place in our hearts, and I know Maddie was very important to both of you. She's in doggie heaven now. You guys were awesome parents and helped make her life wonderful. We're praying for you guys. :(

The Chinlund Family said...

Rachel and Brandon, I can't tell you how sorry I am for your loss of Maddie. I'm not sure if you remember me, I went to IWU with both of you, and I saw your names on Julia Fisher's blog and checked in. Your puppies are both gorgeous. We have a 4 year old boxer named Brody and I can't even begin to imagine losing him. Boxers are an incredibly special breed, and it looks like your Maddie was beyond loved. I am sure she is in heaven and will be the first to greet you when you arrive :) Take care.

Katy Anderson Chinlund

the hoops said...

Hi Katie, I do remember you and a while back ago maybe a year or so ago I saw you had a boxer as well. They are the best dogs. I tried to get to your blog but you have it set on private so I couldn't leave you this message. Thanks for your kind words.